Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Submission and Standing in the Gap

My job is to be in subjection to those in authority over me, to pray for our leaders, all of whom are there because God has established it. (Read Romans 13:1-7 here) Having said that know that I pray for my elected leaders. I pray that God will guide and direct them. I pray that they are submissive to Him in every aspect of their lives and their decisions in regard to their position. I pray that for myself too. 

I am obliged by Scripture to be obedient to those in authority over me. The only exemption for that submission is when those rulers go against the Word of God. I will render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar, but I am also going to stand in the gap of a crumbling wall of righteousness. 
I will not endorse those who call right wrong. My standard of right is according to His standard of right - His Word. The Word of Truth. I will not bow to political correctness and "fairness" according to what others believe. I stand on the Word of God.
I will not endorse those who believe more government will bring us into line, because I bow to God alone. My freedom came at great cost - from Him. More government is NOT the answer. More God is the answer. 
Illegal is illegal. If it is against the law, that equals illegal. Illegal is not subjective. We have slid into a country that finds an excuse to argue escape from consequences. Aborting an inconvenient child, lying to avoid punishment...the list is long. The fact remains that sin earns a reward - punishment.
We are all guilty of sin. Those who bear the name of Christ, who are forgiven under His grace and mercy, must not shy away from calling out the Truth. I stand unashamed of the gospel. It is the power of God for salvation! If the truth is not accepted, then our sin is not recognized!
We are in the middle of a heated election. Regardless of the direction the U.S.A. takes, we MUST stand for God. We must stand for truth. I encourage you to recall the words of Daniel. This is spoken about the Antichrist - but applies today. “By smooth words he will turn to godlessness those who act wickedly toward the covenant, but the people who know their God will display strength and take action." Read Daniel 11:32 here. Much of this land has turned to godlessness. It is up to the believers who know God to display strength and take action.
I believe that action is to preach the gospel in and out of season. I believe our job this very day is to proclaim the truth of God's Word, that people will recognize their sin, turn from their wicked ways and turn to Him.

  • Submit to God and His truth. Everything else will fall into place when that happens. To find His truth, study His Word. His Word will not change, It will not contradict Itself, and in It your life will find direction. study It diligently, over and over. 
  • Submit to the fact that you are a sinner. There are two types of sinners. Those who are saved (by His grace and mercy) and those have not. They are either in denial of their sin (perhaps trying to justify according to man's idea of right or fairness or what they think they deserve) or do not realize they are going against the will of God.
  • Submit to the truth that the payment of sin is death. Granted, both the saved and the unsaved will lose their earthly lives. The unsaved will serve out the payment for their sin in an eternal Hell. The saved have their eternity in Heaven because their sin debt was paid by Jesus. 
  • Submitting to Jesus changes everything. Submission to Him means you admit your sin, turn away from it and accept His payment for that sin. It allows Him to direct your life in a right path going forward. 
  • Submitting to Him requires you submit to those in authority over you.
For those who carry His name, are called Christians, our commission (job) is to share that good news! To make disciples of those who have not heard this truth! Submitting to those in authority does NOT mean we submit to things displeasing to God or stop sharing His Word!

  • Stand in the gap as Daniel's friends, Hananiah, Azariah, and Mishael, (you may remember them by their Babylonian names Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego) who obeyed the King who held them captive until they were told to bow before a golden statue and worship it. They did not. It is against the law of God to worship any graven image or any god other than the one Almighty God. They didn't launch a riot or a revolt they simply did not comply. It cost them a plunge into a furnace. You remember Who was there with them? Read their story here, in Daniel 3. God was with them and chose to allow them to go through the furnace unharmed, without even the smell of smoke.   The King recognized their faith, and the power of God.
  • Stand in the gap as Daniel who did not hide his prayer. When evil men made a decree against praying to anyone other than the King, they would cost them a visit to a den of lions. Daniel could have hidden to pray but he did not. He could have caused a scene, he did not. He simply prayed in the open window in unashamed obedience to God. It cost him a trip to the lion's den. Read his story here in Daniel 6. God was with him and he was not even touched by the lions. The king recognized his faith and the power of God.
  • Stand in the gap as Ezekiel who lived in a time when the judgment of God was upon his land. The people had turned from God and brought corruption into the land and their worship. God asked for someone to stand in the gap of the crumbling walls of His sanctuary to prevent this corruption, and there was no one. Read from Ezekiel 22:30 here. Their sins (in chapter 22) included profaning the holy things of God, making no distinction betweeen the holy and the profane, not teaching the difference betweeen the clean and the unclean. Sounds familiar. 
Dear friends, I fear we are in a similar time, facing the judgment of God for our wickedness and our lack of standing in the gap. I pray you will both submit to Him in every aspect of your life today AND share the truth with those in your reach that sin is sin. Their sin will require payment and the days are growing nearer and nearer for the payment to be due. 

Merciful and gracious heavenly Father,
I see sin so rampant that it physically hurts me. I see those immersed in sin that will cost them an eternity of horrific punishment if they do not repent. Help them today to become aware of their sin. Make their hearts tender to You, that they will repent and serve You.

Father, I see leaders on every level that have misguided goals. I see so many that neglect You and Your will. I pray You will make Youself known to them and they will seek You. I pray they will take a stand for Your Truth that will filter down to all those under their authority. Give an extra measure of strength and purpose to those who are serving You.

I pray for my brothers and sisters in the faith. I pray we will be diligent to give proper honor to those You have put in authority over us. I pray will be will faithful to honor You above all. 

I pray these things in the name of Jesus, my Savior, Redeemer, and my Rock upon which I stand.


Click here for more about me.




For faith-filled stories, including a hummingbird I named Oscar, 
To read the first chapter, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment