Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Dirty Look From a Lizard or Pray Before You Spray

Lizard, "Really lady"?
No doubt about it, fall is arriving in the South.  The maple leaves are gloriously golden, and their winter guests, the Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers, have arrived. 

The ladybugs are looking for a warm spot for winter.  Frogs are moving slowly due to the chill in the air.  Granted, “chilly” here means daytime highs in the 60’s, instead of the 90’s and I realize that is comfortable for much of the world, but in Alabama, that’s chilly. 

Knowing that our first frost of the season is around the corner, and it will soon be time to take our potted lemon tree into the sunroom for the winter.  That also means it is “debugging” time for any and all things wanting to come along for the ride into our home.    Armed with a squirt (Southern for “spray”) bottle of Malathion, I doused the tree and immediately little critters begin to scatter.  Before you send the hate mail, I am always careful to avoid the blossoms and any honey bees.  The yellow jackets were particularly offended and let me know with their best “intimidating and aggressive stare-down” they meant business.  Note: know your enemy before you fire.  I reminded them I was going to be hard to catch, and still had ammunition.   It was a lively, albeit short dance, and as usual, my husband found it humorous (from a distance I might add).  Other small beetle-like inhabitants coughed their last and fell to the ground.   They looked similar to ladybugs, but were dark brown and somewhat flatter than their red-backed counterparts.  Well, at least I got ’em. 

Day 2 – I got them, not their brethren and sisteren.  They are back.  This time I spotted them all around the blossom clusters, and under leaves.  Sneaky little rascals they are.  Another dose of “medicine” for them and many more surrendered and fell to the ground.  My husband noticed some of their cousins had made a home on the Angel Trumpet near the garage, so off this soldier goes, armed for another battle, and expectant of victory.   Note: know where your friends are before you fire.   As I was spraying, a little green lizard scooted forward along a leaf, then turned back a gave me a raised eyebrow  for spraying his tail.   In all honesty, his tail didn’t even look like a bug.  I just got carried away I guess.  That’s the best defense I could come up with on short notice.  So, I apologized, and warned him avoid any “wet” bugs on the lunch menu.

During my apology speech, it occurred to me that I tend to react quickly, sometimes even before I pray.  Shame on me.  God had already seen the homesteaders, and taken care of the situation by placing a hungry lizard on the job.  If I had taken the time to look, I might have seen him (although his camouflage is extraordinarily good).  But, as usual, I was in a hurry to “fix” the problem in my own power.  Note: seek out and/or know God’s plan before executing your own.  It is a hard lesson.  Maybe you have experienced it too.  Rushing in and acting before seeking His will never ends well.   Remember in the garden of Gethsemane, when Peter took it upon himself to take action against the soldiers who came to arrest Jesus?  An ear replacement later, he realized Jesus (God in flesh) had it under control.  Remember Abraham, Sarah, and Hagar?  God had it under control with a perfectly good, yet different plan, and yet they didn’t wait for it.  Remember the wandering in the wilderness for forty years, and promise of a land flowing with milk and honey?  When it was time to act according to His plan, they were afraid.  Maybe you and I also need to take time to let Him work, instead of presuming He needs us to act.  When He tells you it is time to act, act.  When He says “wait” and that He has it under control, let Him have it.  Note: He has a plan and it is under control.

Father, we thank You for Your glorious creation.  Thank You for the beauty all around us.  We trust Your great and mighty hand to deliver us, avenge us, and hold us securely today and every day of our lives.   Help us to seek Your will before we act, and guide our every action to glorify You today and every day hereafter.

How have you seen the hand of God at work today?  Leave us a note, we would love to hear your story!



Click here for more abou me



                                                                                        
For more faith-filled stories

Amazon link
Preview here 
Amazon link
Preview here





2 comments:

  1. Special welcome to visitors in Poland, Canada, France and South Africa! So glad you stopped by! Please come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to all who visit! Special welcome guests from Japan, Ukraine, and Russia this week! Hope you all come back soon!

    ReplyDelete