Monday, June 13, 2016

Follow Him without excuses

Follow Him without excuse or delay

“Another of the disciples said to Him,
“Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.”
But Jesus said to him,
“Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead.”
Matthew 8:21,22


Dear Father,
They saw Jesus perform miracles, healing and crowds were following him. Some were following and proclaiming their intention to follow Him further still. Jesus knew their hearts, and answered accordingly. When He he told one not to expect creature comforts, He seemed to expose a heart looking for what he might get from this One who could do miracles.

This disciple He told to let the dead bury their own dead.  While I don’t presume to understand every aspect of the answer to this man, I see myself. I see my “wait until later” attitude crop up when I know following Your path will interrupt my plans. I see myself rationalizing that I need to take care of family instead of kneeling at Your feet, studying Your Word, or evangelizing the lost.

Forgive my tendency to procrastinate when I see giving up something or suffering ahead. Forgive my efforts to build up treasures here instead of building up Your kingdom in heaven.

Lord, give me a heart of obedience, of immediate action when You give instruction. I do not desire to neglect my earthly duties, but desire even more to fulfill every command from You. Forgive my excuses, and bring my heart back into obedience to You, no matter the cost.

I pray in Jesus’ name – my example of obedience.


Click here for more about me




A book of devotions like this coming soon! You can find more devotions here.

You might also enjoy the faith-filled stories of the hand of God, and a hummingbird I named Oscar... 





Read the first chapter of Oscar here 

Find Oscar



No comments:

Post a Comment