Sunday, October 29, 2017

Butterfly Prayer

Pause, open your arms to soak in strength from God before you face the day.
In late October it is chilly here in my part of the world. So chilly that the hummingbirds have headed to warmer parts of the world and the rest of us are pulling out long sleeves and sweaters to ward off the chillbumps. The maple trees have already dropped almost half their leaves to blanket their roots for the coming winter.

Meanwhile, this little guy finds himself a sunny spot and silently opens his wings. I thought at first he was posing for a picture, but I realized he purposely landed in a sunbeam and was simply soaking in the warmth. Isn't that a beautiful picture? Not of the butterfly, but of how we can live. Life all around us may be cold and harsh, but we can always come to Him and find comfort and strength.

I watched him for a few minutes as he gathered his strength for his mission and then fluttered to the pickerel reed and the Mexican petunias and some wildflowers (I refuse to call them "weeds') that are still bravely blooming. He was created for a mission, and he was brilliant enough to pause to soak in what he needed before he faced the day.

I am guilty of rushing into the day headlong sometimes, and I can tell you it leads to a frustrating tizzy (Southern for "discombobulated") kind of a day, maybe you are too. What if we dollowed the example of this butterfly? What if you and I opened our arms up to the One who created us, and paused to soak in His Word to strengthen and encourage us for the path God has set before us today?

Come'on! Let's do!

Father,
I look to You today first and foremost. I do not know what the day ahead holds for me, so I pause and remember that rather than looking at the problems down here I need to "Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the [fn]strength of His power, Not one of them is missing...Yet those who [fn]wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary." Isaiah 40:26,31

Thank You for strengthening me. Help me to focus on You and be obedient to You. I trust You and love You, and pray these things in Jesus' name,
Amen.


Click here for more about me

Click to find about Oscar the Extraordinary Hummingbird on Amazon

Click here to find see The Wisdom Tree on Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment