Thursday, July 3, 2014

Pickles on the Counter

Pickles on the counter.
Is it just me, or do some of you leave freshly home canned goods out awhile for viewing?  Please tell me you do!  After all, they are a thing of beauty.  Bread and butter pickles are on my counter at the moment.  They were just canned yesterday, the fragrance of pickling spices still greets us as we enter the kitchen, the pots and pans have been put back in their proper place but, I just can’t put away these beautiful jars of juicy spicy goodness.  Just looking at them makes my mouth water.  This fall and winter long after our cucumbers are no longer producing, when a pot of beans is cooking, and cornbread is baking in the iron skillet, these pickles will again release their aroma in the kitchen and our mouths will water again but this time, our mouths will actually taste the burst of sweetness and spices.  Ahhh…Finally!  

Looking at them on the countertop, I can just imagine the joy of opening the jar of precious deliciousness.  Now, it is the middle of summer, but I look forward to the cool fall temperatures when the fruit of our summer labor, will be enjoyed.

It is easy to imagine the pleasure of opening a jar of pickles because I have experienced that in years past.  I have not experienced the pleasures of heaven, but I do look forward to them.  The city will be beautifully adorned with jewels, gates of pearl, street of pure gold.  I have read about “the tree of life bearing twelve different kinds of fruit yielding its fruit every month” (Revelation 22:2).    What will be the color, taste, texture, flavor of that amazing fruit? Imagine the first bite of it, like nothing we have ever had.  We won’t need to save that produce, it will be bearing every month!  

Sealed for the future,
 yet a hint of their goodness is visible,
 anticipation...
There is also a river flowing, a “river of the water of life, clear as crystal” and the tree is on either side of the river of the water of life.   Will we hear it splash, or will it be smooth and calm?  Chemical and pollutant free, the clean taste will be refreshing beyond any water we have ever experienced. Considering the name, what benefits to have access to this heavenly water!  You have a personal invitation “Let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost” Revelation 22:17.  The cost has been paid for you.  

There will be “no more night” (Revelation 21:25), it will be permanently illuminated by the glory of God.  The presence of God in such a tangible way is something I try to, but cannot comprehend.  Oh, how I look forward to that wonderful time!  I anticipate the jewels, the tree, the river, the presence of our Creator and His Son, and long for them.  Somehow, like the pickles on the counter, I can almost taste the glorious time when we will experience heaven.  I love to read about it, I love to think about it but, today I also pray that you will join me there.  Is your name in the Lamb’s book of life? If so, I’ll look forward to seeing you by the river.  I’ll be the one by the tree.

I Want to See Heaven


Click here for more about me


For more faith-filled stories, including a hummingbird I named Oscar...read the first chapter here

For the rest or our story, find Oscar on these online retailers

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment